var addthis_config = ;
125 Norfolk St, Guelph, Ontario circa 1870
This one requires a HOLY BRICK! Feast your eyes on this 6,400 sq. ft. Victorian/Italianate mansion named “Lornewood” (also called the Raymond/Crowe House). Hexagon-shaped elements, verandahs, and a centre cupola – OH MY!.
Now provided on the market at $850,000!
This residence was initially owned by Charles Raymond of the Raymond Sewing Machine Company, who constructed it for his daughter, Emma, and her husband, John Crowe.
In 1862, Charles Raymond together with his spouse, Mary, and daughters Emma and Ada, got here to Guelph from New England and started manufacturing stitching machines within the Yarmouth Street space. He was a philanthropist and main contributor to the early improvement of Guelph. Active in municipal affairs, he was the primary deputy reeve of Guelph in 1874-1875. He was additionally one of many first administrators of the Guelph General Hospital. In August 1863, Charles Raymond procured his first piece of land on Norfolk Street and in February 1868, acquired the remainder of the property from the current home to the nook of Norfolk and Yarmouth.
During that point, the Raymonds lived in a home on the property and in 1867 started development on the brand new home (proven within the photograph) which was to be the house of their daughter, Emma, and her husband, John Crowe. It consisted of two storeys with 6 rooms. This is the home into which the Raymonds later moved when their daughter, Emma, and her husband and their rising household constructed a brand new residence on Woolwich Street in 1877.
The Raymonds then started to develop and alter the home. They added a wing, shaped the present bays, constructed the centre cupola and verandahs and again condominium, which was used as servants’ quarters. The inside of the home was fully trimmed with black walnut, milled regionally by the Robert Stewart Lumber Company and crafted by native artisans. Intricate mouldings gave grace to the ceilings, and elaborate gasoline fixtures supplied the lighting.
The home at the moment was heated by fireplaces that are in eight of the 12 rooms. In 1878, the unique home was faraway from the property.
On Sept. 17, 1879, when the Marquis of Lorne, the Governor General of Canada and his spouse, her Royal Highness the Princess Louise (Queen Victoria’s daughter) visited Guelph for the opening of Guelph’s Central Exhibition, they have been entertained within the Raymond Home. In appreciation, they introduced the Raymonds with portraits of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, which nonetheless cling of their authentic location.
The home was subsequently named “Lornewood”. John Crowe initially labored for the Raymond Sewing Machine Company. In 1868, he began Crowe’s Iron Works, on the nook of Commercial and Norfolk Streets, which developed right into a thriving enterprise. In 1892, Emma Crowe died, and in 1893 Mr. Crowe married Emma’s widowed sister, Ada Raymond Miner, who already had one little one. They had one other little one collectively. In 1896, Charles Raymond offered the Raymond Sewing Machine Company, which then turned the Raymond Manufacturing Company.
He lived in his residence till his demise in 1904, and his second spouse, Helen, stayed there till she offered the home in 1920 to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Griffin, which they shared with their daughter, Gertrude, and her husband, Sydney Underwood. Mr. Griffin at one time labored for John Crowe, however in 1877 purchased Harley’s Foundry on Huskisson Street (now decrease Wyndham), which turned the Griffin Foundry; he was then in competitors with Crowe’s Iron Works.
In 1920, Mr. Underwood purchased the Griffin Foundry from Mrs. Griffin after her husband’s demise. In 1926, alterations have been once more made to the outside of the home. Between 1929 and 1933, Olive Freeman, the longer term Mrs. Diefenbaker, lived in an condominium in Mrs. Griffin’s portion of the home. In 1944, when Mrs. Griffin died, possession of the home was transferred to her daughter, Mrs. Underwood. In 1947, Mr. Underwood died and in 1955 Mrs. Underwood offered the home to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Crowe, the current occupants, and nice nephew of John Crowe.
He and his brother, Don, purchased the Griffin Foundry in 1947. Each of the homeowners has been concerned within the foundry trade. Built for a Crowe, it has made full circle again to a Crowe. After being added to, divided and redivided over time, it has now been restored with most of the authentic interval furnishings.
|CLICK TO LEARN MORE!|