This final week (and some prior) had me scrambling whereas my priorities had been shifted. Not solely was I getting a number of real work however I took on this fee as nicely. This one was totally different than my other two in that the deadline was strict. The fee was to be performed for an public sale occasion that was going to profit their youth group. I used to be to ship the mannequin on the afternoon of the occasion. I needed to depend on photos and the facility of Google for the reason that church itself is in Longview, WA, a very good hour north of me. The topic? The church constructing.
Longview Community Church is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an attractive outdated constructing within the form of a cross with a number of newer additions. Most of the unique constructing is undamaged. I selected to give attention to the unique constructing solely and faux the additions by no means occurred. There had been a number of stunning options to select from. Given the dimensions, I needed to give attention to a number of and let the others be implied.
The first and largest function is the stained glass home windows. There are two very massive and distinguished ones on every of the wings of the sanctuary. Both are roughly 18’x30′ and arched on the high. Gothic arch thoughts you. I needed to accept a steady curve. My opening was 6 studs huge which matched every part. I broke it into 14 plates and commenced stacking. It was a really summary interpretation however I attempted to make it as true as potential. Most of the outer portion was stacked clear gentle blue plates. I used a few pink spherical ones for the lozenges. In the Nativity, Mary’s gown was represented by 2 clear darkish blue plates. The sheep’s heads had been clear yellow and orange spherical plates. I used to be happy with the general consequence.
A 3rd massive stained glass window is in a single finish of the constructing. The youth pastor had by no means seen the entire thing since it’s partially obscured. He tried taking a cellphone photograph however it was not the best. I discovered a plastic waterfall piece from a Lone Ranger set in my retailer stock. Since I knew it will by no means promote and it was the suitable dimension, it was an ideal match for that window!
(Unfortunately in my rush I by no means acquired any good pictures of my stained glass home windows).
Next was the bell tower and smaller turrets. I ordered a bunch of the older 2x2x3-1/three octagonal bricks. Unfortunately I used to be quick by three however considered one of my fellow PortLUGgers was capable of mortgage me a number of with solely hours till the occasion! The bell tower was simple. It regarded about 8×8 to me. That scale labored out completely with the remainder of the constructing as nicely.
Finally, the bell tower is house to some gargoyle water spouts. Some droid arms sufficed for this although I believe the skeleton arms would have been higher.
For the roof I had what I assumed was a genius concept. On the entrance and rear gables are some very faint crosses embossed (or raised!) from the aspect of the brick with extra brick. I used a 1×2 technic brick with cross gap and pushed a darkish tan 3L axle with stud into it. The the rest of the axle caught to the within of the church and was used to hold the roof on. In order to save lots of on items (and funds) I selected to do the roof in plates as a substitute of a whole lot of slope items.
I completed up the mannequin with just a little landscaping and a few lettering to notice the dimensions and the artist. Final scale got here out to about 1:125.
I used to be invited to hitch the public sale night time and say a number of phrases. It was a really wonderful night of fundraising with some very beneficiant of us collaborating. An older couple at my desk bid on the sweet stuffed centerpiece for my youngsters to take house. Thanks Rich and Roberta!
(All pictures with the precise church and photograph of the church mannequin on the pink tablecloth courtesy the Longview Church Community. )