var addthis_config = “data_track_addressbar”:true;
1 St. James Place Hamilton, Ontario
Landmark residence within the coronary heart of the Durand neighbourhood. Built within the 1930s by the Pigott household (see beneath historical past).
In 1927 the town of Stuttgart hosted the White Housing present. The structural and stylistic improvements on show penetrated in all places – even to distant Hamilton, Ontario, the place the Pigott Construction Company supplied a line of “Better Built” properties: white painted stucco, flat roofs, concrete stairs, metal window sashes and all (as seen with 1 St. James Place) .
NOW FOR SALE with Joyce Hodgskiss & Ken Rossiter of Coldwell Banker. Click here to view the itemizing. Offered at $619,900.
History: Pigott Construction
Joseph M. Pigott was a distinguished Canadian businessman, who collectively ran Pigott Construction Company, liable for a few of Canada’s largest industrial crops and most interesting buildings.
He was born in Hamilton, Ontario on February 23, 1885, the son of a distinguished Irish contractor (Michael Pigott, himself the founding father of Pigott Construction Co. and the son of an Irish farmer who emigrated to Canada and settled close to Guelph).
In 1903 he started working for his father’s development firm. In 1909 Pigott travelled to Saskatchewan along with his youthful brother Roy the place they secured a big contract to construct St. Paul’s Hospital in Saskatoon.
Together the brothers would direct Pigott Construction to fortune and fame. Roy taken care of the engineering and Joseph took care of the enterprise administration. The first $1,000,000 12 months got here in 1926, and in 1930, Hamilton’s earliest skyscraper, the 16-storey Pigott Building, was accomplished.
After the Second World War, Pigott Construction was Canada’s largest privately owned development firm, amassing greater than $113,000,000 in enterprise in a single 12 months.
Pigott constructed a few of Canada’s largest industrial crops and most interesting buildings: the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto; Crown Life Insurance Company head workplace, Toronto; Bank of Canada, Ottawa; a plant for General Motors, Oshawa, and buildings for A. V. Roe Company in Malton. In Hamilton, buildings constructed by his agency included: the Canadian Westinghouse places of work, Banks of Nova Scotia, Royal and Montreal, McMaster University, the County Court House, Westdale Secondary School, St. Joseph’s Hospital, the Pigott Building, the brand new City Hall and the Cathedral of Christ the King.
Joseph Pigott’s Home – 358 Bay Street South, Hamilton, Ontario
The residence was constructed for Joseph Pigott, President of Pigott Construction, within the Tudor revival fashion. It was designed by William Souter, architect of the Cathedral of Christ the King on King Street West. Souter’s own residence was across the nook at 108 Aberdeen (see beneath).
William Souter’s residence – Burnewin, 108 Aberdeen Avenue, Hamilton, Ontario circa 1932
The residence was designed by architect William Souter as his personal residence. It is fabricated from stone and was constructed concurrently the Souter-designed Cathedral of Christ the King was being inbuilt west Hamilton. Originally, Souter supposed to buy the home instantly to the east, tear it down, and convert its lot into his entrance backyard entrance on Bay Street South. It’s for that reason the entrance door of the home faces east and never onto Aberdeen Avenue.
FRESH FACT: Sold about three years in the past for $1.2 million
|CLICK TO LEARN MORE!|